We rely on all members to help keep these discussion forums a safe place for people to share and view information. To do this, we request that all members comply with the following rules when contributing to the discussion forums: Breaking rules result in punishments. There are several types of punishments:
Warning - This is where a public announcement is made that mentions your name and that you have broken a rule. We would determine whether you knew what you were doing was wrong or whether a warning is necessary to explain it do you. If we do not give a warning, We will skip ahead to the next step in the penalty list.
Muting - This is where you are not able to talk on the board. You may still view it.
Temporary Ban - This is where you are not able to view the board for a certain period of time.
Permanent Ban - You can never again view the board. The following rules list the most serious violations:
* No Discrimination, - You may not insult members based on their religion, race, sex, political beliefs, or whether they are gay or straight. This is worse than flaming, because it also hurts other members of the board who fall into the category you insult. BHN is a place where everyone is equal, and discrimination will NOT be tolerated!
* No Bullying - Do not pick on other members. The worst kind of bullying is where new members are picked on. This hurts the member as well as the board.
* No Flaming - Flaming harms the nice atmosphere of BHN. It also causes thread's to go off topic, and most importantly, it hurts the person being flamed. The victim may defend themselves against any accusations made to them, but may not make any additional accusations to the flamer (which also counts as flaming).
* No Profanity or Obscene Content - Such content does not belong on BHN. A censor system is in place as a backup. If you see words in your post being replaced with **, you have done something wrong. Please edit your post and tone it down before your timer runs out. To edit a post, click the "Edit" button right below it. Cheating the censor system is against the rules. If you break one of these rules, the following penalties will apply (first time, second time, third time...) with the exception of breaking the rule "No Hacking" which immediately results in a permanent ban:
Warning - Depending on how serious a violation is, you may be issued a warning first.
Muting - Muting for 10 days . Temporary ban - People who cause more problems after being muted for 10 days will be banned for a month, and for 2 months for the next offense.
Permanent ban - At this point, it is obvious that will never learn your lesson, thus, a permanent ban is necessary to be rid of the problems you cause. The following rules are also important:
* Advertising Happens Only in the Marketplace - You are only permitted to make money using BHN. via the Marketplace. You are not allowed to use the member list to obtain Instant Messaging screen names to harass people to purchase a product from you.
* No Illegal Activity - You are not allowed to break the law using BHN. This can get BHN into legal trouble. Posting links to rooms is illegal, so this counts as a violation of this rule.
* No Double Posting or Spamming - You may not post more than once in a row in the same thread. Posting lots of times in a row reduces the quality of the board, is a waste of the board's memory, and provides the culprit with ill earned post count points. Double posts will be merged into regular posts, and you will lose 10 post count for each of the posts excluding the first one. Your post count can be changed to a negative number if necessary. The only exception to this rule is if your edit timer (24 hours) for the post has run out, in which case you may double post if you have something important to add. Spamming is also not allowed, and is defined as a post that has no meaning.
* No Topic Bumping - If a topic you created has no replies, you may not post again in it (although you may edit the post if the timer has not run out). If you made the thread because you need help with something, you may post again as long as you include additional information about your problem (the fact that you really really want it fixed does not count as additional information). You must post this in the same thread, and you are not allowed to create more than one thread per topic.
* No Posting Personal Info except required by Admin - You may not post your last name, or your street address on BHN. This is because this information then becomes accessible to anyone.
* No Threatening to Leave the Board - Due to past experiences on the board, I have had to add this rule. You may not make posts threatening to leave the board. This causes flaming to occur. Because of what a problem this is, I cannot issue a warning for violations. Anyone responding poorly to these threads will also be muted.
The following are a set of amendments to clarify the rules for those people who wish to nitpick:
Amendment 1 - There are no excuses for breaking the rules. It doesn't matter if you were angry at the time and weren't thinking straight. It doesn't matter if you were only kidding around. If you break a rule, it does the same damage, regardless of your reasons for breaking it, and you will be punished all the same. Moderation A team of moderators have been entrusted with the ability to intervene when these Community Rules have been breached. However, due to the dynamic nature and the sheer volume of posts, we can't immediately read everything written – therefore much of the responsibility for maintaining our friendly environment lies with you. If any material you post raises concerns about your safety or the safety of others, we may try to contact you to make sure that you or others are safe. We may also need to pass your contact details on to authorities who can help protect your safety or the safety of others (for example, to the police or a mental health crisis service). Should you wish to query a moderation decision, please get in touch with us privately via email and we will respond on the next business day. You will be advised by email if we are unable to publish your post, or if a post has to be edited or removed from the forums because it breaches our community rules. We take our duty of care in providing a safe environment for all forum members seriously, and this includes recognising when a member may benefit from participating in our forums and when it may be more appropriate to seek support offline. We reserve the right to permanently deactivate the accounts of users who breach our community rules. Threads from users who are no longer on the forums may be archived (locked or unpublished) at the discretion of moderators.
Amendment 2 - Staff abuse will not be tolerated. As a staff member, your job is to help the people, not harm them. You may only use your powers for the purposes that they have been given to you for. There is no limit on how much you may be punished for this severe offense as this must be stopped at all costs to protect the people. This means that if you abuse your powers, there is a good chance you will be permanently banned.
Amendment 3 - Harassing the administration about punishments is not allowed. The admins are only trying to do their job, and many times they have to make difficult decisions. You may post your opinion in the thread that announces the punishment, so long as you do not flame anyone. If this thread gets out of hand, it will be closed, and you may not complain elsewhere on the board, or by other means including, but not limited to: private messages, instant messaging programs, email, telephone calls, and house visits. You also may not make threats against administrators (or other members for that matter...). Punishments for harassment range from a 5 day mute for minor harassment to a permanent ban if serious threats are involved.
Amendment 4 - If you break more than one rule, the punishments will stack up to a maximum of 2 months, or a permanent ban if necessary. If a sentencing length is 10 days or less, it is a mute, otherwise, it can either be a temporary or permanent ban.
Obey these guides and let's have a good time on BlackHatNaija.com